Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Testing the waters on an idea...

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Samanthasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    392
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would love to see pictures from who ever you let redue her hair.. I think it would be amazing to see even the tinest bit of difference!! Let us know what you decide, when she is leaving and whos doing it. Cant wait to see the results [img]smile.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow...how did that happen to her hair? Just curious, as I've never done the Downy dunk, and would like to avoid any problems if I ever do try it. [img]confused.gif[/img]

    When my 1991 Felicity got knocked off her shelf by my little brother a couple of years ago and had chunks taken out of her nose and cheeks by the fall, I didn't like the look of the newer Mattel Lissies either. I ended up searching ebay and paying a rather high price for a mint 1991 Felicity. When she arrived I put the mint head on my old Lissie's body myself. The head was a nearly perfect match for the original one and half the time I forget I ever did the switch. If you're willing to pay a bit more, it is possible to get a pre-Mattel doll to use as a head replacement. Then she'll look nice again and still look like your old doll!

    Or, if that won't work for you, I think your travel idea is a nice one. There are people on here who can do marvelous things with well-loved dolls, so maybe she can get some help. Or if nothing works, at least you'll know you tried your best, and can look into alternatives like a new wig or a new doll. Good luck to you and poor Lissie; I hope she gets her silky hair back!

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Melissa*Olivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    515
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That damage is from a Downy dunk?!?!?! What did you do that was different from what other people have posted in their albums?

    I've never done a Downy dunk, but we are planning to do a couple soon -- now I'm a little nervous!

  4. #14
    Inactive Member MissMooMoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2005
    Posts
    451
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Engel Puppen sells PM quality wigs that fit AG. . .you can get a nice red one, too. :-) $20 per wig + $20 for shipping since it comes straight from Germany. I don't work for them, lol.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member slovejoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2005
    Posts
    705
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I faced the same problem with my childhood Addy. Her hair was a wreck and I wanted to just replace her wig, but I still wanted it to be AG, sooo I took the head off my doll and sent in the body for a head replacement, then, I took her to a local doll place and just had them swap wigs. The only down side was that it was a bit pricey since I had to pay for a whole new head. I think it was only $15 for them to do the wig swap! I am completly satisfied, I wanted a doll that was like new, but with all the same sentimental value and this was what worked for me.

    Shanna

  6. #16
    Inactive Member AngieBelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok...I'm really embarrassed to admit what I did wrong with the Downey dunk. It's really stupid...I had thought I read to dunk her hair directly into *boiling* water with Downey. This was about 7 years ago. Everybody knows you don't apply that kind of heat to doll hair! [img]redface.gif[/img]

    Slovejoy- that's a good idea, although you could actually do that without decapitating her! Just ask for a new head and tell them to send back the old one too. There's a problem with this for me personally though- the new wigs are a different shade of red that I don't like as much (unless they recently changed it).

    I'm sure the Engel Puppen wigs are beautiful, though that is rather pricy. I have no idea where any doll places that would swap wigs are around here.

    <font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ March 01, 2006 12:20 AM: Message edited by: AngieBelle ]</font></font>

    <font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ March 01, 2006 12:21 AM: Message edited by: AngieBelle ]</font></font>

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 01, 2006 12:22 AM: Message edited by: AngieBelle ]</font>

  7. #17
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ohhh.... I wondered. The pan must have still been sitting on the hot stove eye? I use boiling water on my dolls and ponies hair all of the time- It can work wonders, BUT you have to be absolutely sure to remove the pan from the stove eye first.

    For vintage dolls, ruined ponies, and AG with bad frizzies, I wash and condition the hair, dip it in boiling water, AWAY from the stove eye.Next I gop the hair up with a thick conditioner for human hair, and carefully comb a tiny bit at a time.I work my way all over the head, and then REDIP in the boiling water. I rinse the hair very, very well, towel dry, and then smooth the hair with a comb one more time. I prop the head in an empty glass that is heavy enough to hold the head, and stretch a nylon knee-high over the head to hold the hair smooth on top as it dries.

    I have read about using Sun of a Gun vinyl treatment on damaged hair too.

    I honestly do not know how much that wig can be helped now.

    If you ordered the new head, you could switch the wig yourself to save a few $$

  8. #18
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought a lot of two dolls (Lindsey & Kit) on eBay a while ago, and they both had damaged hair. The little girl who had owned them must've tried to use a too hot curling iron, or a hair dryer on them. Luckily, it was only the two front side pieces on each of the dolls,(and Kit had the beginnings of silver eye, so AG sent me a brand new doll) so I was able to fix poor Lindsey. I took a curling iron that had two heat settings, and on the low one, I took small pieces of her hair and slowly pulled the iron through, making sure to keep tension on the hair to keep it straight. It worked really well to straighten it, and then I just recurled the ends. She looked like new again, so I re-sold her on eBay for more than I paid for the lot with the two dolls, and kept my brand new Kit! I definitely think you should try to salvage her if she's important to you. Her hair couldn't get much worse, and unless you do someting that will cause the hair to actually break, you could try multiple methods for getting her back in style.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member AngieBelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I guess I still had the pot on the hot stove when I put her in...I don't remember exactly.

    I collect My Little Ponies too. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've used a curling iron on some of their frizzies and although it wasn't a total miracle, it helped a little.

    I'd really love for someone else to work with Felicity...I don't trust myself.

    So should I make an offical list of who Felicity will visit? I don't want her to be gone too long though...this would be my first Traveling doll. If anyone wants to talk to me directly, my IM name is AngiBelle1.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member AngieBelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm...a recommendation...so Anne, want to give it a try?

    I have Lissie soaking her hair in warm water with conditioner right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •